Wednesday, March 1, 2017

HSM 2017 challenge #2: Re-make, Re-use, Re-fashion

Faire Season is nearly upon us, and as a result of my body feeling the need to change shape yet again, I found myself in need of a new kirtle. Being between jobs at the moment means I don't really have the money for new fabric but according to this formula:

Last year's Kirtle + A recently purchased pattern from The Tudor Tailor = A new challenge entry

This was my first experience with Tudor Tailor Patterns and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was to fit. I have an extremely narrow back and that can make fitting quite difficult, but all it took was two armhole darts and a strap adjustment and I was ready to go!

My previous kirtle was boned with heavy duty cable ties sandwiched between two layers of cotton duck and lined with linen. The skirt was made of two straight panels in the back and a quarter circle in front. I removed the front panel and the new bodice out of it.  I wanted something a little softer this time around, so I gave the cable ties a pass and interlined it with three layers of cotton duck then lined it with cotton sateen. It turned out beautifully and I'm looking forward to wearing it this coming faire season.






And some bonus pics of the blood orange marmalade I made today





  • Historical Sew Monthly 2017 thedreamstress.com

The Challenge: Re-make Re-use Re-fashion
Material: Linen, cotton duck, cotton sateen
Pattern: Tudor Tailor kirtle pattern
Year: 1570's
Notions: Thread, embroidery floss and two cable ties
How historically accurate is it? Machine sewn
Hours to complete: a week
First worn: Not yet
Total cost: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment