Monday, February 11, 2013

HSF Challenge #3, and a corset at last!

Well another fortnight has come to a close and I have a new garment to show for it!
Number 3 in the Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge was underwear and so I whipped myself up a pair of drawstring split-seam drawers. I admit they're a little long and rather plain, but nothing that can't be prettied up with a few tucks and some embroidery. I made them out of a high thread count cotton sheet so they're SUPER comfy and they breathe like a dream. 


The Challenge: #3 Underneath It All
Fabric: Cotton
Pattern: Drafted off an old pair of bloomers
Year: 1850
Notions: Thread and cotton cord
How historically accurate is it?  Pretty accurate. It is sewn almost entirely by hand.
Hours to complete: 10
First worn: Not yet except for photo. Probably in March
Total cost:  Free!



And to compliment my new drawers, my new corset arrived yesterday evening! I was expecting plain white coutil but as a surprise, the kind lady who made it for me covered it in a lovely peach colored damask! I was so excited that I fell asleep with it like Ralphie and his Red Rider BB Gun (fortunately there are no pictures...that I know of). It fits beautifully and I can finally start drafting the bodice for the Blue Eugenie and a few other projects!

Tune in tomorrow for Dapper Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment